Friday, December 13, 2013

Transhuman

"People stared at me on the train. I'm accustomed to that--when they see a freakishly tall black man, even the British overcome their famed (and largely mythical) reserve, and stare like scientists at a new specimen. The stares had become more hostile in recent years, as waves of African refugees fled their burning lands. I was born in Newcastle, like my parents, but that isn't written on my face. When I spoke, people smiled to hear a black guy with a Geordie accent, and their hostility melted.

"Now I was no longer black, but people still stared. My grey exo-skin, formed of myriad tiny nodules, was iridescent as a butterfly's wings. I'd been told I could create patterns on it, like a cuttlefish, but I hadn't yet learned the fine control required."

--Ian Creasey, "Erosion"

So much implied and packed into just a few sentences. This is how you do transhumanism, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment